When creating the ideal outdoor living area, shade and shelter are essential. Overhead structures are a perfect way to not only protect your outdoor area from the elements, but also enhance its beauty. By having a professional company like Scott Design and Construction create an overhead structure for your needs, you can transform your back patio into a true outdoor living room!
Following are some of the most popular overhead structures to consider in your plans. Note that some of the structures are similar and their names are commonly interchangeably used — such as trellises, arbors. patio covers and pergolas.
· Pergola. A freestanding structure with an open roof that is supported by columns or posts. A pergola may be used to cover a walkway or to provide filtered shade for an outdoor living space.
· Patio cover. An attached structure that provides shade and/or rain coverage for a patio or deck. A patio cover may have an open or solid roof. Cedar patio covers are very popular today and can provide a rustic or more modern look.
· Trellis. A flat section of lattice work used to support vines. Trellises are often used to enhance the appearance of a blank wall, add height to fences, or to add privacy to an outdoor structure.
· Arbor. A small framework that supports climbing plants and serves as a passageway. Arbors <https://www.landscapingnetwork.com/pergolas/arbor.html> are commonly arched and placed over a path or gate. Wrought iron arbors (and trellises) make great garden features and add to the beauty of the green area, often with climbing roses.
· Gazebo. A freestanding, octagonal structure with a solid, pitched roof and open sides that provides full shade without obstructing views. It’s common for gazebos to be screened in to provide a bug-free space for relaxing.
· Ramada. A freestanding structure similar to a pergola, but with a closed roof. A ramada provides complete shade as well as protection from rain. The closed roof traps heat, which can be beneficial in colder weather. Ramadas, which are also referred to as pavilions, are often placed over outdoor kitchens or near an outdoor fireplace.
Call Scott Design and Construction today!
Founded in 1989, Scott Design and Construction is today one of DFW’s premier full-service landscape and construction firms. At Scott, we strive for excellence and take pleasure in transforming each and every one of our landscape installation properties into a personal paradise for our customers to enjoy with their families and guests!
If you’re looking to create the perfect overhead structure for your outdoor living space – or any other landscape design – call Scott today at 972-562-9467 for a complimentary consultation and estimate.
Scott Design and Construction
Creating Exceptional Outdoor Environments for almost 30 years! Contact us today!